Sunday, September 26, 2010

Inch by inch...


That's about all I can utter, right now.  It's 9pm, I'm beat tired, and I feel as if I'm falling behind, every day.  I know that it's all going to be just fine, no matter what happens.  But, I'd feel a lot better taking off for a long spell out of town if I could just close the door on this portion of my journey. 

Don't get me wrong.  Good times and plenty of blog posts will highlight a life with the Roving Home.  I can hardly wait. 


I shorted myself on some wiring for the electrical closet and had to head back out to West Marine.  Sunday mornings aren't so bad here in southern California, so I dashed over in pretty good time.  But, would you believe, my quick run for a few finishing parts cost me half of what I spent on Friday?  Good Lord! 

Break Out Another Thousand

Whatever.  I can't avoid it and it has to be done.  I keep having to remind myself of all the rent/mortgage I'll be saving over the next couple of years.  Yes, two years.  The investment won't be worth anything if I drop out any earlier. 

But, after completing the wiring , I contemplated just what the whole process of removing and reassembling everything to the board would entail.  I just couldn't bear it.  

So, I carefully tipped up the board, eased it into the van, slid it over to the closet and lifted it up on end.  

So far, so good!

I just carefully pushed it against the wall and screwed it in.  That saved me about 2 hours of stupidity.  Much better.   Now, can you see that little hand drawn black circle just below the white inverter box?  That was the original placement for the exterior A.C. power hook up.

Obviously, things changed. 

I slid the receptacle placement over, broke out the trusty hole saw, and went to town on the wall of the van. 

Not too intrusive. 

I spent the rest of the day going back to Home Depot to correct my errors in conduit selection.  I need a lot of room for all of the wiring to come down from the ceiling, so I had to expand the diameter and re-drill the ceiling holes, etc etc.  Kind of a bummer, but once again, my mind is thinking about a billion things at once, so by the time I get right to the exact task at hand, I've certainly left a bit of the mystery unsolved. 

It's all good now!

And, you can see the hole for the receptacle that I drilled through.  Tomorrow, the agenda calls for the wiring of the solar panel, lighting and accessories.

I got to make some progress!    


  1. You are making great progress Rob! The receptacle looks good. I have really been enjoying your build! It is nice to watch someone plan, research, and then carry out the project without compromising to save a few bucks. Well done my friend! Your build is a great example for lots of folks out there looking to do similar work :)

    97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"

  2. Mike,

    Thanks for hanging in there, all these months. Unfortunately, it looks as if my job will start a week earlier than planned, which cuts my time in half. I don't think I'll complete it. And, if it's not finished in three weeks, then it will have to wait until June!!! Wow, hard to believe.

    I'm doing 12 hour days, now. Fingers crossed.