Friday, August 3, 2012

A New Chapter

I hate to say it, but I must confess.  I have changed.  Or rather, my life has changed.  So now I feel the Roving Home experiment, although still an amazing potential, must officially come to a close.  I can't see myself setting aside any sort of substantial quantity of time in the next year or more where I'll be able to get under the skin of this project and devote the energy it needs to make any marked progress.

I live with my girlfriend now, and we've opened a shop that caters to this new amazing culture of people who appreciate and seek out handmade things.  Of course, how could I not jump on that bandwagon, since my love for a good challenge in making something fostered the emergence of the Roving Home.  A few of the things I make here in the shop have really taken off, and I'm now filling orders, nationwide.  

I also have come to the realization that I'm more of a social person than I'd ever imagined.  The friendships we've cultivated with so many individuals here in town have exceeded, in just a few months, all of the connections I'd made with people in Los Angeles during the last twenty years of my life - something noteworthy.  Our workshop bench serves as the proverbial kitchen table, where people often gather in the summer evenings, simply to say hello and chat.

We donate items for the local high school auction fundraisers, and carry merchandise that helps fund the town Heritage Society.  Yes, my life has changed.

Unfortunately, the van no longer fits with this rebirth.  I look back and wonder how happy I would have been in such isolation.  I do enjoy my time alone, but to the extent of this kind of isolation, perhaps I would have gone a bit stir crazy.  On that note, I am going so far as to part with my van and all the materials used to bring it to this point.  For those of you who have read about my adventures and longed to be a part of the build, you might be able to do just that.  All I need is to get enough money back to put into a different vehicle.  At that point, I'm happy.  The solar parts, electrical parts, plumbing parts, water pump, water heater, water tanks, ceiling fans and stereo system are brand new.  They've never been used.  If anyone might be interested, please let me know.

Aside from that, life is amazing.  I pinch myself knowing that I've created something that's all my own, where I make the rules and where my hard work actually pays off in obvious ways.  Thank you for reading.  I've greatly appreciated all of the comments I've received from so many people throughout the journey.  Part of me is a little disappointed, but life should be interesting, and surely my excitement toward what lies ahead keeps me very much alive and well.    

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations or your many successes. It's a testament your skill and the pent up demand for community, embodied in handmade local items. It's probably what makes Amish country here in Southeast PA so popular to tourist from all over. Not only that but it's a living example of how we'll end up living if the predictions of collapse from peak oil start taking place around 2050 to 2070.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qDy0jHo_DQ

    So maybe you'll need that rig then to bug out like Mad Max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you are not gonna finish the build but congrats on your new found intrest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading this well past the date it was written but I am curious if you sold Vision? What a great rig you have/had.
    travcojim@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just took a peek and saw your note. Yes I sold it. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just took a peek and saw your note. Yes I sold it. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete