Saturday, April 17, 2010

Moving forward - a bit sluggish.

Unfortunately, these days I don't have much free time on my hands, so when progress is made, it's at a snail's pace.  As soon as I'm confident that I've figured everything out, I'll acquire the vehicle and begin the build.  I really don't see any reason to buy something only to relegate it to the side yard.  Honestly, I haven't found exactly what I need, as of yet.  I've seen a few out there, but the prices are steep.  Patience is a virtue. 

But, what I have done, this week is to continue my switch plate assemblies.  As I said before, I'll need three 3-switch plates and three 1-switch plates.  So, the factory is up and running. 

First I measure...


Then cut...





And, the fun continues.



This week, another gift arrived in the mail - my USB / Printer panel adapters. 



The printer receiver end will mount to a plate on the wall, by the dinette.  That way, I'll be able to plug a very short printer cable from my laptop, right into the wall.  In the wall, the cable will work its way over to where my printer is.  Then, it will connect to another adapter that will actually hook directly into the final cable.  The whole USB to Printer adapter cable has to always flow from one type of connector to another in a certain way (from what I've recently learned).  If you just try and go USB to USB, there's no guarantee that you're not crossing the polarity at some point.   I know it sounds complex, but think of it as series of male to female adapters.  They always have to connect in a certain order.  That's the simplest way of explaining it. 

And, here are the backsides of the adapters...



They're small and efficient in size.



And, next week, I'm hopeful that my 12 volt receptacles will arrive so that I can show you the completed faceplate configuration for the entire electrical system.  It's all very exciting -- to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment